My kiddos!

My kiddos!

Pages

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." - Christopher Reeve

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Ups and downs of today......

This was Kira this morning before we left for the doctor to get her casts off!  She could.not.wait.  She was still talking about going shoe shopping and taking a shower.  I LOVE this picture!

We had absolutely NO wait when we got there.  The ortho nurse saw was and we were on our way to go back to get her cast off, then x-rays, then we'd see the doctor.  Gotta love the no waiting part!...especially since last time we had a 2 hour wait!



 Those casts are almost gone!  Kira just kept giggling and saying that she couldn't believe her casts were almost off!!

 Beautiful feet!  
 So happy to have the casts off after 15 1/ 2 weeks.  She was just giggling!
 Waiting to go have x-rays........she could not wait to see the x-rays so that she could see the screws in her feet! ;-)
 This is when things went south for a bit.  Dr N came in and said that the x-rays looked great but he wanted her to wear boots on both feet until we can get the inserts made for her shoes.  Kira instantly had a look of panic on her face and tears in her eyes.  She also quickly figured out that with the boots, shoe shopping wasn't going to happen.  I was able to think fast and told her that we would go look for some new pants that would work with her boots.....I think that she only KINDA fell for that.  I was so proud of her for keeping it together and not falling apart....and I have to say I was pretty proud of myself too! :-/  She's not happy.  I think she'll be okay but she's frustrated that it hurts to walk right now.  She's frustrated that she can't walk on her own right now.  I have no doubt it won't take long but she's one frustrated little girl right now.
Good news!  I was concerned after seeing that her stitches are still in that she might not be able to swim when we have a weekend trip planned for the last weekend of April.  Fortunately the doctor said that it would be fine since it wasn't for several days.  She just can't bear weight without the boots on so she'll need help!  She's not thrilled with that but I told her it would be fine and that she could also sit on the edge or on a step if they have one.

After a trip to Target to look for pants, I realized, duh....it's mostly summer gear!  We managed to find a couple pairs of lighter weight pj's and one pair of leggings....I think leggings will work with her boot over them.  Again, she wasn't thrilled.  Sigh......

This mommy was and still is just feeling bad about it all.  We really didn't know or expect the boots so we've been talking up getting shoes, etc.  It was just a BIG let-down for us both......especially Kira.

Fortunately we had plans to meet Jason for lunch at Kira's favorite restaurant.....Laredo's....after all, cheese dip makes it all better, right? ;-)

After lunch we stopped at the rehab center to make her appointment to get the inserts made for her shoes...she has to wear the boots until she has the inserts and I KNOW how long it can take to get appointments for this type of thing.

GOOD NEWS!  They had an appointment for MONDAY!  We took it.

BAD NEWS!  They called 20 minutes ago and had to reschedule it.  Luckily they got us in on Tuesday, April 30th.  So still not too bad.  It can take 3-6 weeks to get braces/inserts so I'm hoping that it will be closer to the 3 weeks.........

Then we had to stop at Hy-Vee and get snacks for Dylan to take to school tomorrow.  Kira was almost in tears...she was tired, in pain and just not happy.

These sure seemed to bring a smile to her face though! :-)

There was ONE pack with puppies as decorations.  We brought them home. :-)



I thought the first thing that she would want to do was take a shower when we got home but right now she is laying on the couch, reading her American Girl magazine that came in the mail, watching Good Luck Charlie and trying hard to stay awake.  I'm sure a shower will come soon though and I have a feeling that I won't be able to get her out  once she's in!

So.....it's hard right now.  It feels like we've gone backwards with her independence and she's not happy about it.  I just keep trying to reassure her that it won't be long and she'll be up walking around like she was with her casts.  I don't think she believes me right now.  She's still ticked off about not getting to go shoe shopping but believe me, that day will come and we will party! :-)

She does have some restrictions for the rest of the school year....no running and jumping even once she has the inserts.  She is happy to know that she can swing! :-)

Her next follow-up with the ortho is August 15th.  At that appointment we will find out what restrictions she will have going back to school in the fall as far as PE activities go...it's likely that she will have some even next school year.

Next week I have her transition meeting with her IEP team at school.  I feel like that meeting will go well.  The doctor made his recommendations and I've been able to share some of the things that we have learned while Kira has been doing homebound school.  I believe her 1st day back will May 1st.

Thanks for all the emails, texts, Facebook comments, etc.  It made Kira's day to see everyones support!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails