My kiddos!

My kiddos!

Pages

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." - Christopher Reeve

Monday, October 8, 2012

Serious lack of communication

It's taken me a few days to write this post because I've been more than a little ticked off about the chain of events that took place on Friday when Kira went for her EMG.

If you know Kira, I don't need to tell you that she was NOT happy when she figured out she needed to go to hospital for another test....not happy at all.  We managed to make it through the evening before and the morning off okay...tears, yes but we managed.

When we got there, our nurse was very understanding and told Kira that she could hang out in the waiting room while I went back to talk with her.  Kira was happy about that.  We went through her medical history and decided that I would talk to the NP before we went any further with Kira.  She came in and we talked IN DETAIL about what medications would be needed.  She was going to be given an oral medication and another through the gas mask....twilight sedation was what the neuro had ordered.  

She got her dose of oral meds in the waiting room and once we knew it had "hit" we took her back to her room.  She did well and even willingly got on the bed.  From there, things just went downhill.  They we giving her the meds with the gas mask and she was fighting it some but it was also clear that it was working.  After about 20 minutes, the EMG dr, who had been IN THE ROOM the whole time, said this isn't going to work and this is what I need.  So we agreed to try ketamine...nasally.  AFTER we did that is when he said that he really needed her to just have Propofol...which, I might add requires an IV that we had already told her she wouldn't need.

Somewhere around this point, I had to step out of the room because I was losing it quickly.  Our nurse and the NP both felt TERRIBLE since the orders they have received said NOTHING about all of this....and the EMG dr had signed off on them as well.  He is the same dr who did Kira's EMG when she was much, much younger and I really didn't like him that time either.

When I went back in the room, Kira was beyond hysterical and I pretty much said, "Just do it....and get it done."  I was not very polite about it at that point either.  If we 1) didn't need this test done and 2) weren't so far into the procedure already when the chaos really started, I would have said forget it and walked out the door with her.  Kira was screaming at me that I lied to her when she figured out that she needed an IV...I was fighting tears and Jason was none to happy either.

Fortunately, Propofol works pretty quickly and they were able to get the test done.  Kira slept for a bit once they stopped the meds and woke up ready for something to drink.

So now we are in the waiting period again....waiting to hear from the neuro about the test!  Hopefully soon!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails