My kiddos!

My kiddos!

Pages

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." - Christopher Reeve

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

More changes....

After I picked Kira up from school today I had a message from her principal to call him to discuss some classroom issues.  Yes, my heart dropped because I couldn't think of what it would be about especially since her aide had just told me that she had a great day!

Well, when I called him back I learned that Kira will need to be switched a new classroom due to more kids coming into the school with special needs and no classroom placements for them.  I would be lying if I said that I wasn't a little upset that this is happening and honestly, I didn't even KNOW that it COULD happen at this point in the year.  While I understand the reasons behind it and hate the thought of kids being out there not able to have access to the services and therapies they need, I also hate that it affecting my child too.

I got the feeling that they wanted this to happen this week but since I am leaving for Texas tomorrow afternoon, I nicely but quite firmly said that I wanted this to wait until I was back.  He agreed to that and said that we could wait until Tuesday.....a few minutes later realizing that her new teacher was gone on Friday and Monday anyway so making the change then wouldn't be a good choice anyway.  Her aide will be going with Kira and her special needs teacher will still have a lot of contact with her as well.

I hope that this is an easy transition for Kira....a new classroom, a new teacher, new kids and a new schedule all together.  Kira took it pretty well when I told her but did get a little emotional when she realized that she wouldn't be in class with Carly anymore....another girl with some needs similar to Kira who she has really been a buddy with this year.

One very positive thing that I see in this is that it means that Kira truly doesn't need as much "support" as we thought she would.....that's a very good and positive thing because they wouldn't be moving her if she really needed all the support that her current classroom offers.

Tomorrow morning we will go to school a little early to meet her new teacher and see the classroom.  I hesistated to do it tomorrow since it would be a few days before she makes the switch but with my trip, this was the best that we could come up with.

So....stay tuned for updates on this one!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails