NOT!
So I pulled a real good one tonight. I was making the kids quesadillas for dinner and Eva typically eats them pretty well. I use finely chopped chicken, black beans, salsa, corn and her rice cheese. I always make hers first so that nothing she shouldn't have ends up on hers. Well, I made hers and put it on the cutting board to cool. Then I made Kira and Dylan's....somewhere between that and putting them on their plates I got the wrong quesadilla on the wrong plates. NOT GOOD!! Before I realized what I had I done I was trying to figure out why Dylan wasn't eating his...apparently he doesn't enjoy cheddar rice cheese.
It was about 10 minutes before I realized that Eva was breaking out in hives and I was obviously completely stumped as to why......I gave her the medication we have for her hives and watched her. Then she started wheezing so I had to use the Epi-pen. She was pretty upset by then so we were snuggling in the rocking chair and I was going through everything on her plate trying to figure out what the trigger was.
Kira asked if she could have a piece of Dylan's quesadilla since he wasn't eating it.....I said sure and a few mintues later she asked me why I used EVA'S CHEESE ON DYLAN'S QUESADILLA!??!?!?!?! I went out thinking to myself that there was no way I mixed them up...I am always soooooooooooooo careful. I took a bite of the one I gave Eva and yep, it was regular cheddar cheese. And yep, poor Dylan had been give the rice cheese, the cheese alternative.
I felt TERRIBLE and while I know it was a mistake and I'm human.....I'm her Mommy and her food allergies are severe enough that this isn't okay. Clearly I will need to come up with a new sytem from now on! It was a reality check for me on how allergic she really is because going by what was left on her plate, she hadn't eaten a whole lot yet!
She seems fine....Dylan got a new quesadilla....and Eva got lots of cuddles, kisses and I'm sorry's from Mommy!
4 comments:
Dear Cori,
You are one super mom! You have had to deal with challenges above the normal challenges of "motherhood". Thank heaven for your very observant Kira who helped solve the problem. Your "little people" are so blessed to have you for their mom! Keep up the good work!
Cori - you are amazing & accidents just happen! You'll come up with some fancy system to be sure to tell the difference going forward, I am sure!
I third all of that! Sorry that had to happen, but the important thing is you took care of it!
Oh crud. I'm so sorry this happened, really. And I for one know just how you feel. She's lucky to have you and knowing you, you already have a new system in place to cover yourself for next time. And we all make mistakes, we do. Even us food allergy mamas do.
Post a Comment