My kiddos!

My kiddos!

Pages

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." - Christopher Reeve

Monday, January 25, 2010

OUCH!



As most of you know, we are experiencing gross motor delays with Eva just as we did with Kira and Dylan.  Bummer, yep!  We were hoping that it would be different with her but no such luck.  She started therapy around 5 months old.  We started out seeing her therapist just a couple times a month but then in September we agreed that we needed to increase her therapy to once a week.  It has really helped Eva get more comfortable with Katie and now Eva lets Katie touch her which is pretty important when it comes to PHYSICAL therapy! :-)

Eva has very low tone in her trunk muscles.....more than even Kira did.  Her trunk muscles are definitely what is causing most of her delays.  We decided to try Kenesio Tape with Eva in hopes that it would give her muscles the extra support and "reminders" that they needed.  We had tried this tape with both Kira and Dylan too.  With Kira, it really didn't do much and Dylan had a pretty bad reaction on his skin.  We did a trial on Eva and she did fine.  She's actually been wearing it for about a month now.  You can kind of see it in these pictures.



I was surprised when Katie put it on Eva at the difference we noticed right away with how straight she was sitting up.  I was excited because if the tape doesn't work then we may have to think about TheraTogs and I REALLY hate those things!  Kira and Dylan both had them...I DO NOT LIKE THEM.  They REALLY are a pain!....but as always, if Eva would need them, we'll get them for her.
Anyway, I was bummed when over the weekend I noticed that she looked red under the tape so I soaked her in baby oil (fun times) and got the tape off.  This is what I saw. :-(



Luckily it didn't really seem to be bothering her but it sure made Mommy feel bad!  I emailed Katie who said to leave the tape off and after she's healed we can decide what to try.  I guess there are some things you can put on before the tape that can sometimes work to keep this from happening.  We'll see!  Like I said, it doesn't seem to be bothering Evie at all...thank goodness!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

poor thing! E was having really red skin when we were patching him and I put the california baby calendula cream on every day when I ripped them off and it really helped. Hers is probably worse though. I also got a tip that if you paint mylanta (weird I know) on their skin under adhesive it'll still stick and be a barrier. Hope you find somethign that works because sounds like it's really helping her trunk muscles!

Related Posts with Thumbnails